so, it’s 2014. crazytown. feeling reflective and in a list-making mood, here are a few of my favorite things from the past year in list format.
top 10 books I read in 2013:
the majority of books I read are eBooks, given my job, but I have also listened to some audiobooks and read a few paperbacks this year as well. out of my top 10, 9 were read in eBook format and one was an audiobook.
- Wonder – R.J. Palacio
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore – Robin Sloan
- Eleanor & Park – Rainbow Rowell
- Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell
- The Husband’s Secret – Liane Moriarty
- The Spectacular Now – Tim Tharp
- Looking for Alaska – John Green
- Tiny Beautiful Things – Cheryl Strayed
- The Engagements – J. Courtney Sullivan
- Divergent – Veronica Roth
you can see all 75 books I read this year on goodreads.
top 10 movies I saw in theaters:
Old, new, independent and big blockbuster – I saw a variety of movies in different venues this year. Total, I saw 26 movies in theaters. Here are the top 10; you can view the other 16 that didn’t quite make the cut on my IMDB list.
- Dirty Dancing
- The Crash Reel
- Jurassic Park
- Fast & Furious 6
- This is the End
- The Heat
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Anchorman 2
- About Time
- We’re the Millers
5 skits that I loved on SNL this year:
1. SNL – Twin Bed
2. SNL – Boy Dance Party
3. SNL – Wes Anderson horror movie
5. SNL – YOLO
10 moments that made me smile from talk shows & award shows in 2013:
1. Jimmy Fallon – New Politics perform ‘Harlem’ and the lead singer’s dancing is THE BEST.
3. Conan – The Wizards (Workaholics) perform ‘Straight Outta Mordor’ and I cried laughing.
4. Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake do another History of Rap! Here’s all of them, for your enjoyment:
5. Jimmy Kimmel – Celebrity Mean Tweets is always hilarious to me.
6. Fresh Prince rapping and dancing on the Graham Norton Show. (RIP Uncle Phil)
7. NPH’s opening number on the Tony’s proves he’s crazy talented.
8. JT and the mini-NSYNC reunion at the VMAs – just not long enough, Justin. MTV, next time – full on NSYNC concert!
9. Tina and Amy hosting the Golden Globes. #bffs
10. Jennifer Lawrence being fabulous at the Oscars and in life.
Bonus: not on the list but the absolute best – Live tweeting the VMAs, Oscars and Golden Globes with my friends! 🙂
my 10 favorite scripted TV episodes in 2013, as told in gifs:
- The Mindy Project – Frat Party
- House of Cards – Chapter 11
- The Office – Finale
- Breaking Bad – Ozymandias
- Mad Men – The Crash
- Parks and Recreation – Filibuster
- New Girl – Quick Hardening Caulk
- How I Met Your Mother – The Lighthouse
- 30 Rock – Finale
- Glee – The Quarterback
10 most played songs that were popular in 2013:
different from ‘most played’ (which according to my iTunes includes many songs not from this year) or ‘top 10’ in terms of quality (no one said Miley Cyrus was Mozart)… in no particular order:
- Blurred Lines – Robin Thicke
- We Can’t Stop – Miley Cyrus
- Closer – Tegan and Sara
- Diane Young – Vampire Weekend
- On Top of the World – Imagine Dragons
- Started from the Bottom – Drake
- Same Love – Macklemore
- I Love It – Icona Pop
- Royals – Lorde
- Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
TV shows I’m most sad got canceled:
Ben & Kate
Favorite new TV shows I started watching:
Brooklyn Nine Nine
The Michael J. Fox Show
New-to-me shows I started watching:
Last year, I promised to start watching Breaking Bad & Parenthood… I got hooked on Breaking Bad! Watched the last season religiously and glad I was able to see the finale in real time. I also started watching the craziness that is Scandal and it’s RIDICULOUS fun. (Still haven’t watched Parenthood, which is crazy considering I partied with half the cast in Austin this summer and it’s streaming on Netflix so there’s really no excuse. I’m sorry Parenthood.)
that’s enough for tonight! of course, this doesn’t cover the other awesomeness of 2013 in my life so maybe that’s another post for another day 🙂